Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Starving Masses and the Ways of God

Tuesday Aug 18 1789: We went on to Truro, where I had appointed to preach at twelve o’clock; but here an unforeseen hinderance occurred. I could not get through the main street to our preaching-house. It was quite blocked up with soldiers to the east, and numberless tinners to the west; a huge multitude of whom, being nearly starved, were come to beg or demand an increase of their wages; without which they could not live. So we were obliged to retire to the other end of the town, where I preached under the Coinage-Hall, to twice as many people, rich and poor, as the preaching-house would have contained; and many of them would not have come thither at all. How wise are all the ways of God!
In the afternoon, as we could not pass by the common road, we procured leave to drive round by some fields, and got to Falmouth in good time. The last time I was here, above forty years ago, I was taken prisoner by an immense mob, gaping and roaring like lions: But how is the tide turned! High and low now lined the street, from one end of the town to the other, out of stark love and kindness, gaping and staring as if the King were going by. In the evening I preached on the smooth top of the hill, at a small distance from the sea, to the largest congregation I have ever seen in Cornwall, except in or near Redruth. And such a time I have not known before, since I returned from Ireland. God moved wonderfully on the hearts of the people, who all seem to know the day of their visitation.