Saturday, March 20, 2010

We Can't Have This

18 Mar 1790: We went on to Stourport, which is now full twice as large as it was two years ago. The first chapel was built about three years ago, by the joint contributions of Arminians and Calvinists, agreeing that they should preach by turns. But in a short time the poor Arminians were locked out. On this one or two gentlemen built another, far larger and more commodious. But it was not large enough to contain them in the evening, to whom I explained that solemn passage in the Revelation, "I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God." They seemed to be all serious and attentive as long as I was speaking; but the moment I ceased, fourscore or one hundred began talking all at once. I do not remember ever to have been present at such a scene before. This must be amended; otherwise (if I should live) I will see Stourport no more.