Sunday, April 25, 2010

Take off your Hats

Sun 25 Apr 1742: At five I preached in Ratcliff Square, near Stepney, on, ‘I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.’ A multitude of them were gathered together before I came home, and filled the street above and below the Foundery. Some who apprehended we should have but homely treatment begged me to go in as soon as possible. But I told them, ‘No. Provide you for yourselves. But I have a message to deliver first.’ I told them, after a few words, ‘Friends, let every man do as he pleases. But it is my manner when I speak of the things of God, or when another does, to uncover my head’; which I accordingly did, and many of them did the same. I then exhorted them to repent and believe the gospel. Not a few of them appeared to be deeply affected. Now, Satan, count thy gains.