Saturday, May 8, 2010

The River Spey

Sat 8 May 1784: We reached the banks of the Spey. I suppose, there are few such rivers in Europe. The rapidity of it exceeds even that of the Rhine, and it was now much swelled with melting snow. However we made shift to get over before ten and, about twelve, reached Elgin. Here I was received by a daughter of good Mr. Plenderleath, late of Edinburgh; with whom, having spent an agreeable hour, I hastened toward Forres. But we were soon at full stop again, the river Findhorn also was so swollen, that we were afraid the ford was not passable. However, having a good guide, we passed it without much difficulty. I found Sir Lodowick Grant almost worn out. Never was a visit more seasonable. By free and friendly conversation his spirits were so raised, that I am in hopes it will lengthen his life.