Saturday, June 12, 2010

I will rather not converse with you at all

Sat June 12 1736: Being with one who was very desirous to converse with me, ‘but not upon religion’, I spoke to this effect: ‘Suppose you was going to a country where everyone spoke Latin and understood no other language, neither would converse with any that did not understand it; suppose one was sent to stay here a short time, on purpose to teach it you; suppose that person, pleased with your company, should spend his time in trifling with you, and teach you nothing of what he came for—would that be well done? Yet this is our case. You are going to a country where everyone speaks the love of God. The citizens of heaven understand no other language. They converse with none who do not understand it. Indeed none such are admitted there. I am sent from God to teach you this. A few days are allotted us for that purpose. Would it then be well done in me, because I was pleased with your company, to spend this short time in trifling, and teach you nothing of what I came for? God forbid! I will rather not converse with you at all. Of the two extremes this is the best.’