Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Falling down Stairs on Friday 13

Mon to Fri 9-13 Aug 1779: I set out for Wales, with my brother and his family. In the evening, I preached at Oxford; the next at Witney. Wednesday, we went on to Gloucester, where I preached with much satisfaction, to a crowded audience. Thursday 12, we went on to Monmouth, where the late storm is blown over. I preached at six in the evening; but did not observe one inattentive person then, any more than at five in the morning.
Friday 13, as I was going down a steep pair of stairs, my foot slipped, and I fell down several steps. Falling on the edge of one of them, it broke the case of an almanac which was in my pocket all to pieces. The edge of another stair met my right buckle and snapped the steel chape of it in two. But I was not hurt. So doth our good Master give his angels charge over us! In the evening, I preached at Brecon and, leaving my brother there, on Saturday 14, went forward to Carmarthen