Friday, August 6, 2010

The case of Ann Hooly was peculiar

The case of Ann Hooly was peculiar. She had often declared, "The Methodists’ God shall not be my God. I will sooner go to hell than I will go to heaven in their way." She was standing in the street with two young women, when John Oldham, passing by, spoke to one and the other, and went on. She burst into tears, and said, "What! am I so great a sinner, that he won't speak to me?" About twelve he was sent for in haste. He found her in deep distress; but continued in prayer till all her trouble was gone, and her spirit rejoiced in God her Saviour. Yet three nights after she was in much distress again, crying, "I have a wicked heart, and I cannot rest till God takes it away." He did so in a few hours. Ever since she has been a pattern to all the young people in the town. She was thirteen years old. In about a year, her spirit returned to God.