Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Travelling

Tue 14 Sep 1784: I preached at Bath and Bradford-on-Avon; Wednesday 15, at Trowbridge and Frome. Thursday 16, I went to Ditcheat, a village near Castle Cary, where I found a friendly, hospitable family. I preached in the evening to a numerous and earnest congregation. Friday 17, the house would not contain half the people. Hence we passed through a delightful country to the Nunnery, a more elegant trifle, near king Alfred’s Tower, a lofty, triangular building standing the height of the country, on the very spot (as is supposed) where he drew up his army against the Danes. About eleven, I preached at Castle Cary to a quiet and attentive multitude. In the evening, I preached at Shepton Mallet, where the people at length know the day of their visitation.