Tuesday, October 19, 2010

JW's Notes on RCL Gospel reading for Sunday 24th

Sun 24 Oct Luke 18:9-14
Luk 18:9 He spake this parable - Not to hypocrites; the Pharisee here mentioned was no hypocrite, no more than an outward adulterer: but he sincerely trusted in himself that he was righteous, and accordingly told God so, in the prayer which none but God heard.
Luk 18:12 I fast twice in the week - So did all the strict Pharisees: every Monday and Thursday. I give tithes of all that I possess - Many of them gave one full tenth of their income in tithes, and another tenth in alms. the sum of this plea is, I do no harm: I use all the means of grace: I do all the good I can.
Luk 18:13 The publican standing afar off - From the holy of holies, would not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven - Touched with shame, which is more ingenuous than fear.
Luk 18:14 This man went down - From the hill on which the temple stood, justified rather than the other - That is, and not the other.