Sunday, February 6, 2011

Questions and Personal Reflection based on Covenant Service

Read the sermon here

1.  For it is by God's grace that you have been saved through faith. It is not the result of your own efforts, but God's gift, so that no one can boast about it. God has made us what we are, and in our union with Christ Jesus he has created us for a life of good deeds, which he has already prepared for us to do. 
Discuss the 'order of salvation' in these verses from Ephesians 2:8-10
Are we saved by doing good works?

2. Read Matthew 25:31-46.
Discuss whether these verses imply that salvation is by works. How do you reconcile these verses with Eph 2:8-10

3. Discuss the meaning and implications of each part of the covenant:
I no longer want to control my life, but surrender it to You, Lord,

Put me to whatever purpose You choose,

Link my life to whoever You will, for whatever purpose;

Send me to whatever task You have in mind for me;

If suffering be Your purpose for me, I accept it;

May my life be used by You or not used, if You so decide;

May it be filled with meaningful purpose, or,
if You prefer it, have no apparent purpose;

Let it be filled with many useful material things,
Or, if You so plan it, be emptied of material benefit.

With all my heart I yield everything to Your control.

And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
I am Yours and You belong to me.
So be it.

And the covenant which I have now made here on Earth,
let it be confirmed and recorded in Heaven.

Amen.

4. Comment on the statement: The born-again Christian life is dangerous.

5. Read James 2:14-26. What is the difference between an alive/saving faith and a dead faith.

6. Is your faith the type of faith that saves?