Monday, September 5, 2011

After a long interval of deadness, God is again visiting this poor people


Sun. 4 Sept, 1774. The rain drove us into the house at St. Agnes. At one it was fair, so I preached in the street at Redruth. But the glorious congregation was assembled at five in the amphitheatre at Gwennap. They were judged to cover four-score yards, and yet those farthest off could hear.
Today I received the following note:
            The sermon you preached last Thursday evening was, by the grace of God, of great good to my soul. And when you prayed so earnestly for backsliders (of whom I am one), an arrow dipped in blood reached my heart. Ever since, I have been resolved never to rest till I find again the rest that remains for the people of God. I am, dear sir,
                                    A vile backslider,
                                    from the pure love of Jesus,
                                    and from the society at Gwennap.
Monday 5, I preached at Cubert, Tuesday 6, at Port Isaac. Wednesday 7, having preached at Camelford and Launceston, I did not think of preaching at Tavistock; but finding a congregation waiting, I began without delay. I had scarce half finished my discourse in the square at Plymouth Dock when the rain began. At first I did not regard it, but as it grew heavier and heavier, I thought it best to shorten my sermon.
It seems, after a long interval of deadness, God is again visiting this poor people. The society is nearly doubled within this year and is still continually increasing. And many are athirst for full salvation, particularly the young men. Friday 9, I set out early from the dock and the next afternoon reached Bristol.