Friday, October 7, 2011

Daily Devotions for Week 8 of Sermon on the Mount Fri

Week 8 Day Five Devotions

Morning Prayer

O THOU eternal Fountain of all wisdom, whom I cannot see or know but by the means of thy own light, vouchsafe to manifest thyself to my soul, and teach me to know aright thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent. O blessed Sun of Righteousness, arise upon me with healing in thy wings, to scatter all the clouds of folly and ignorance that overspread my soul. Open my eyes to see the wondrous things thy love has wrought. Suffer me not to remain in darkness concerning anything that is needful for me to know in order to my present peace and my eternal glory. O Lord, incline mine ears to wisdom, and my heart to understanding, that I may follow on to know the Lord, and increase in the knowledge and love of God. Give me, O Lord, that highest learning, to know thee; and that best wisdom, to know myself. Command a blessing on my studies and endeavours; and bless me, and help me, Lord, in my learning all such things as shall stand me in stead, and do me good. Let my soul and body, and all their powers, be under thy conduct, and employed to thy glory. Show me thy ways, O Lord, and lead me into truth; and whatever I am ignorant of, unto me let it be given to know the mysteries of thy kingdom; and let me count all things but dung and dross for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord; to whom, with thee and the Holy Ghost, be all honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen. Vouchsafe, O Lord, to keep me this day from all sin. Bless my going out and coming in, now and for evermore. Amen

Evening Prayer

O MY heavenly Father, who tookest me out of my mother’s womb, who wast my hope when I hanged yet upon my mother's breast, I have been preserved by thee ever since I was born; O go not from me in this my youth, but send out thy light and thy truth, that they may lead me, and bring me to thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling-place. Teach me thy way, O Lord, and enable me to walk in thy truth. O knit my heart unto thee, that I may fear thy name; and give me understanding in the way of godliness. Lord, I am young, and cannot discern between good and evil: O let me not go out of the way of thy commandments. Learn me true understanding and knowledge. Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth thee; for thou art my God. Let thy loving Spirit lead me forth into all the paths of righteousness. Let my study day and night be in thy word, that I may become wise unto salvation. Make thy word a light unto my feet, and a lamp to my path: Guide me here with thy counsel, and after that receive me into glory. Withdraw not thou thy mercy from me, O my God; but let thy loving-kindness and thy truth always preserve me. Give thy blessing to me, and with thy favourable kindness defend me, as with a shield. Show me the path of life, and enable me to walk therein, till I come into thy presence, where is fulness of joy, and to thy right hand, where are pleasures for evermore. As thou hast been pleased to preserve me this day, and hast bestowed upon me all things needful, I desire to bless thy name for the same. Take care of me this night, O Lord, and visit me with thy mercies. Preserve me, O Lord, from everything hurtful, and let thy merciful arms forever surround me, through Jesus Christ my Saviour. Amen.

© 2006 JohnWesleyProject.com