Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Daily Devotions for Week 9 Fasting Tues

Week 9 Day 2 Devotions

Am I Humble?

When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly. Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite: "Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son."1Kings 21:27-29. 

Wesley comments: “His humiliation was real, though not lasting, and accordingly pleasing to God. This discovers the great goodness of God, and his readiness to shew mercy. It teaches us to take notice of that which is good, even in the worst of men. It gives a reason why wicked persons often prosper: God rewards what little good is in them. And it encourages true penitents. If even Ahab goes to his house reprieved, doubtless they shall go to their houses justified.” 

The following prayer called “A Litany of Humility” and attributed to Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val, is very useful in assessing this part of our lives. Pray it slowly, thoughtfully and meditatively today

O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed, ……………..deliver me, Jesus.
from the desire of being loved,
from the desire of being extolled,
from the desire of being honored,
from the desire of being praised,
from the desire of being preferred to others,
from the desire of being consulted,
from the desire of being approved,

From the fear of being humiliated, ……………..deliver me, Jesus.
from the fear of being despised,
from the fear of suffering rebukes,
from the fear of being calumniated,
from the fear of being forgotten,
from the fear of being ridiculed,
from the fear of being wronged,
from the fear of being suspected,

That others may be loved more than I,………Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
that others may be esteemed more than I,
that in the opinion of the world
others may increase, and I may decrease,
that others may be chosen and I set aside,
that others may be praised and I unnoticed,
that others may be preferred to me in everything,
that others may become holier than I
provided that I may become as holy as I should.