Monday, November 7, 2011

Daily Devotions for Week 13 of Sermon on the Mount Mon

Week 13 Day 1 Devotions


David’s Narrow, Difficult, Lonely Road


This week we look at five biblical heroes namely David, Jonah, Jeremiah, Jesus and Stephen who each in their own way discovered the difficulty and loneliness of walking the Lord's way. Draw strength and encouragement from the truth that the Lord who strengthened them and who was with them even when they thought He wasn't with them, is the Lord who is with you, strengthening you and strengthening those you might be led to pray for. 


Psalm 55:1-14

Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught at the voice of the enemy, at the stares of the wicked; for they bring down suffering upon me and revile me in their anger. My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death assail me. Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me. I said, "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest-I would flee far away and stay in the desert; Selah. I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm. Confuse the wicked, O Lord, confound their speech, for I see violence and strife in the city. Day and night they prowl about on its walls; malice and abuse are within it. Destructive forces are at work in the city; threats and lies never leave its streets. If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him. But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God.


Pray for those Christians who feel the way David does in this Psalm and especially for those who walk the lonely and painful road caused by the betrayal of loved ones.