Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pentecost 20: Stir Up the Gift that is in You

2 Tim 1:1-14

Coming this Sunday

.................So I ask you to make full use of the gift that God gave you when I placed my hands on you. Use it well......... That is why I would remind you to stir up (rekindle the embers of, fan the flame of, and keep burning) the [gracious] gift of God, [the inner fire] that is in you by means of the laying on of my hands [with those of the elders at your ordination]......Therefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God which is in thee through the putting on of my hands.....




The Holy Spirit, the ruach of God that hovered over the waters of creation, has hovered over you, and placed in YOU....the Gift of God




That Gift of God is, so to speak, in your hands

Imagine a teaspoon of coffee placed on top of the hot water in a cup....perhaps add some sugar....even some milk.....BUT DON'T STIR anything.....how would that taste? Would you even try to drink it?


It makes me think of some of Jesus' words (in a different context, but the message is the same)

If the gift of God in you and in me is not stirred up, not re-kindled, not aflame, we are not a very pleasant taste in the Lord's or the world's mouth..... and we will find ourselves spat out of both.


SO,