Saturday, August 1, 2015

Would You write straight with my crooked lines?

As we look at God confronting David and his sin with Bathsheba this Sunday, as well as Jesus' teaching on the Bread of Life, this prayer, which I think is attributed to Francis of Loyola, is very appropriate and I will probably use it as part of the invitation to the Lord's Table.

O God,
I cannot undo the past,

or make it never have happened!
-- neither can You. There are some things
that are not possible even for you
-- but not many!

I ask You,
humbly,
and from the bottom of my heart:
Please, God,
would You write straight
with my crooked lines?
Out of the serious mistakes of my life
will You make something beautiful for You?

Teach me to live at peace with You,
to make peace with others
and even with myself.

Give me fresh vision. Let me
experience Your love so deeply
that I am free to
face the future with a steady eye, forgiven, and strong in hope.