Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Guide to Daily Quiet Time



Read my sermon on Daily Quiet Time here

Daily Quiet Time-some tips

· Quiet time is when you find a quiet place to be alone with God to pray, to read the Bible and to meditate. You should try to be regular and disciplined about this.
· This outline is offered to help you structure your daily quiet time. You do not have to stick to it slavishly. Use as little or as much as you need, and add to it as you wish. Start small and allow it to grow gradually.
· You may want to keep a hymn book or chorus book handy and make use of it during your devotions.
· Try to set aside 10-30 minutes a day for this.


1. Opening Psalm
Begin your quiet time by reading a few verses of a Psalm. You will find suggestions for each day of the year in the OneYearBible Reading Plan available at http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/.
2. Hymn or chorus
Sing or recite a verse of a hymn, or a chorus, quietly or out loud.

3. Confession
Examine yourself in the silence. Confess your sins to God in our own words, or using one of the following prayers:

· Almighty God, Heavenly Father, I have sinned against you and against other people in thought, word and deed, in the evil I have done and in the good I have failed to do, through ignorance, through weakness, through my own deliberate fault. I am truly sorry and repent of all my sins. For the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ, who died for me, forgive me all that is past. Grant that I may serve you in newness of life, to the glory of Your Name. Amen.

· Be merciful to me, O God, because of Your constant love. Because of Your great mercy, wipe away my sins. I have sinned against You and done what you consider wrong. Take away my sin and I will be clean. Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Create a pure heart in me, O God, and put a new and loyal spirit in me. Do not take Your Holy Spirit away from me. Give me again the joy that comes from Your salvation, and make me willing to obey You. Amen.

· Father, I have failed You. You commanded me to love, but I have not loved You with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I have not loved my neighbor as myself. You have been faithful and I have let You down. Forgive me for my sin and my wrongdoing. Cleanse me and renew me by the power of the Holy Spirit. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

· Stained with the sins which I have wrought
In word and deed and secret thought,
For pardon which Thy blood hath bought
Christ crucified, I come!

Wash me, and take away each stain,
Let nothing of my sin remain;
For cleansing though it be through pain,
Christ crucified, I come!

To be what Thou wouldst have me be,
Accepted, sanctified in Thee,
Through what Thy grace shall work in me,
Christ crucified, I come!

4. The Creed
Proclaim your faith with one of the following:

· I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended to the dead. On the third day He rose again. He ascended into Heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

· I believe in God the Father, who made the world, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, who redeemed humankind, and in the Holy Spirit who sanctifies the people of God.

5. The Daily Reading
If you are using a Devotional Booklet, turn to that now. Alternatively, use the passage set for each day of the year in the OneYearBible Reading Plan at http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/

6. A time of quiet reflection and meditation
Think about the readings and meditate on what God is saying to you. Select one verse from the readings and meditate on it for a few minutes. Try to keep it in the forefront of your mind throughout the day.

7. Prayers of intercession
Use our Monthly Prayer Guide and/or these suggestions for prayer. Under each heading try to pray for actual situations and people you know about.

· Sunday: For worship services today; for the fellowship; for those seeking faith; that the blessing of worship and preaching may continue through the week; for those absent from worship; for Sunday Club and Bible Class; for the leaders of these groups.

· Monday: For our families; our husbands or wives; our children; our parents; for friends, for Christian marriage; for marriage problems and broken homes; for the bringing up of children in the faith of Christ; for family worship; for young people and youth work; for the homes of our church; for the lonely and the lost.

· Tuesday: For the mission of the Church; for the proclamation of the Gospel; for evangelists; for missionary zeal among our members; for missionary giving; for unity of spirit; that we might love our neighbor; for Church schools and teachers.

· Wednesday: For the needy; the suffering; the sick; the poor; the hungry; the cold; for refugees; those in prison and detention; the oppressed; the lonely; the depressed; the despairing; for social missions; old-age homes; hospitals; orphanages; mental institutions; counselling services; relief agencies; for doctors; nurses; chaplains; social workers; for all who serve Christ in the world.

· Thursday: For other Churches; for congregations; for full time, part time and voluntary workers; for church leaders and office bearers; for church meetings; for theological colleges and preachers in training.

· Friday: For our country and its people; for our Queen and her family; for those in authority; for unity; for justice and peace; for Christian citizenship; for repentance, faith and love; for world peace; for a spirit of respect and co-operation among the nations.

· Saturday: For the dying; for those who have died; for the bereaved and the sorrowful; for the shortness of life and the judgement to come; for the Lord's day tomorrow; for the presence of the Holy Spirit in our worship; for commitment; for the call to serve God; for preachers and ministers.

8. Personal Prayers
Pray about your own personal needs, and perhaps focus on the prayer suggestion in our Prayer Guide.

9. The Lord’s Prayer

10. Benediction
Close with one of the following:
· May the blessing of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, be with me throughout this day.
· Now unto Him who is able to keep me from falling, and present me faultless before the presence of His Glory, with exceeding joy. To the only wise God my Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen.
· May I continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, now and forever. Amen.
· May God the Father, Christ Jesus our Lord, and the Holy Spirit give me grace, mercy and peace. Amen.
· May the Lord Himself, who is the source of peace, give me peace at all times and in every way throughout this day. Amen.
· May the Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God the Father, who loves me, and in His Grace gives me unfailing courage and a firm hope, encourage and strengthen me always to do and say what is good.
· The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with me now and always. Amen.
· May the Lord send upon me the showers of His blessing, and by His Holy Spirit pour into my heart the gift of His love, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
· Now may the Lord of Peace give me His peace always, and by all means. May the Lord of Love direct me in the way of love, and be with me forevermore. Amen.